Acne & Scars
Acne is one of the most common skin concerns among teenagers and adults. Nearly 80% of the population will develop acne at some point in their lives. Despite its prevalence, acne and the residual acne scarring can be very different for each person.
There are several types of acne that differ in symptoms and levels of severity. Due to the varying forms of acne and acne scars, the best treatments for each symptom are equally varied. At Sarasota Facial Aesthetics, we offer several options to help our clients achieve beautiful, clear skin.
What Are Acne and Scar Treatments?
The best acne treatments are customized for your unique skin type and will address the root causes of acne: acne-causing bacteria, clogged pores and excessive oil production. The best acne scar treatments take into account the type and severity of scarring for optimal results.
Some of the most effective treatments for acne and acne scars include:
- Consistent use of a customized acne-fighting skincare regimen using high-quality, medical grade skincare products is one of the best ways to treat acne and maintain clear, healthy-looking skin.
- Broadband light (BBL) therapy can be used to kill acne-causing bacteria, as well as treat facial redness caused by acne and resulting acne scars.
- Facial fillers like Juvéderm® XC can improve the appearance of deep acne scars such as icepick and boxcar scars.
- Microneedling with or without PRP helps to reduce acne scars by triggering the skin’s natural healing process and encouraging cell renewal near the affected area.
Acne & Scar Treatments at Sarasota Facial Aesthetics
The highly trained, skilled and experienced team of professionals at Sarasota Facial Aesthetics is dedicated to providing customized acne and acne scar treatment plans to help women and men in Southwest Florida and beyond achieve their cosmetic goals. We are proud to offer many of the best acne treatment options at our state-of-the-art facility.
If you are interested in learning more about us or would like to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our highly trained professionals near you, please feel free to contact us online or call our Sarasota office at 941-955-8384.
Am I a Candidate?
If you are struggling to manage acne or acne scars, you could be an excellent candidate for acne and acne scar treatments. A customized treatment plan will be developed based on your skin type, the type of acne and the severity of symptoms you are dealing with to maximize results and minimize side effects like dryness and flaking near the treatment area.
Common acne-related symptoms that are addressed with acne treatment include:
- Cystic lesions
- Acne scarring
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation
The symptoms of acne are unique to each person. During your consultation, one of our highly skilled skincare professionals will perform a skin analysis to create the best treatment plan focused on your exact needs.
How Acne & Scar Treatments Work
Effective acne treatments work by addressing the root cause of acne:
- Acne-causing bacteria. C. acnes, formerly known as P. acnes, bacteria can thrive inside clogged pores near the surface of the skin, where it causes inflammation, redness and acne lesions on the skin. A variety of skincare ingredients and skin treatments work by killing the bacteria and creating an uninhabitable environment for them.
- Clogged pores. Pores can become clogged with excess oil, dirt and debris, makeup and flakes of dead skin cells that have not been properly shed from the skin’s surface. Medical grade cleansers and in-office treatments can help to decongest pores and clear acne.
- Excessive oil production. Excessive oil production can lead to clogged pores and acne, so using the best skincare products for your skin type is a crucial element of your acne-fighting regimen.
Acne scar treatments like BBL light therapy, microneedling and medical grade skincare work by triggering the skin’s natural healing process so that it can self-repair near the treated area. Facial fillers can also be used to “fill in” depressed acne scars.
Some acne treatments can take around 4 to 8 weeks to work, so don’t be discouraged if you don’t see immediate results after beginning a new acne-fighting skincare routine or treatment.
Similarly, a series of multiple BBL therapy or microneedling treatments may be necessary to see the best acne scar treatment results.
Both acne and acne scar treatment results can be long-lasting when combined with a daily skincare regimen designed to prevent future acne breakouts and scarring.
Acne & Scar Treatment FAQ
What is the best treatment for adult acne?
The best treatment for adult acne will depend on your skin type, the severity of your acne and other factors. The team of skilled skincare professionals at Sarasota Facial Aesthetics will work with you to create a customized acne treatment plan.
What is the best treatment for acne scars?
The best treatment for acne scars will depend on your skin type, scar type and other factors. Our team of skincare professionals will design a personalized scar treatment plan specific to your needs and goals.
How can I clear up acne fast?
Acne spot treatments that contain ingredients like tea tree oil, salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide can help to treat mild acne symptoms fairly quickly. However, know that a more comprehensive acne treatment plan will continue to work over the course of several weeks to achieve smooth, clear, healthy-looking skin.